meet adj : being precisely fitting and right; "it is only meet that she should be seated first" [syn: fitting] n : a meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held [syn: sports meeting]
1 come together; "I'll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!" [syn: ran into, encounter, run across, come across, see]
2 get together socially or for a specific purpose [syn: get together]
3 be adjacent or come together; "The lines converge at this point" [syn: converge] [ant: diverge, diverge]
5 satisfy a condition or restriction; "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?" [syn: fit, conform to]
7 get to know; get acquainted with; "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
8 collect in one place; "We assembled in the church basement"; "Let's gather in the dining room" [syn: gather, assemble, forgather, foregather]
9 meet by design; be present at the arrival of; "Can you meet me at the train station?"
10 contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle; "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary" [syn: encounter, play, take on]
12 undergo or suffer; "meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate" [syn: suffer]
13 be in direct physical contact with; make contact; "The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point" [syn: touch, adjoin, contact] [also: met]
- To come face to face with by accident; to encounter.
- Guess who I met at the supermarket today?
- Fancy meeting you here!
- Guess who I met at the supermarket today?
- To come face to face with someone by arrangement.
- Let's meet at the station at 9 o'clock.
- Shall we meet at 8 p.m in our favorite chatroom?
- Let's meet at the station at 9 o'clock.
- To converge and
finally touch or intersect.
- The two streets meet at a crossroad half a mile away.
- To satisfy; to
- This proposal meets my requirements.
- to meet up
- Afrikaans: ontmoet
- Czech: potkat
- Danish: møde, træffe
- Dutch: ontmoeten, treffen
- Ewe: tu
- Filipino: magtagpô
- Finnish: tavata
- French: rencontrer
- German: treffen, begegnen
- Indonesian: bertemu, menemui
- Japanese: 会う (あう, au)
- Malay: bertemu, terjumpa
- Portuguese: encontrar
- Romanian: a întâlni
- Spanish: encontrar, encontrarse
- Swahili: kukutana
- Swedish: träffa, råka
- Telugu: కలుసుకొను (kalusukonu)
- Welsh: cwrdd (â, cyfarfod (â)
see through arrangement
converge and touch
- cornfield meet (train collision)
Etymology 2From O.E. gemæte "suitable, having the same measurements", from the Proto-Germanic root ga-mætijaz (cognate with Dutch meten 'measure', German gemäß "suitable" etc.), itself from collective prefix ga- + Proto-Indo-European root med- "to measure"
- - measure(s)
- finish line in a competition
Meet (or MEET) can have a variety of meanings, depending on the context in which it is used.
- MEET is an acronym of Medical Education Eligibility Test, a standardized test administered for professional graduate schools of medicine in South Korea. In South Korea, shortly, the schools are just called as "medical schools," the English loanword.
- In mathematics, a meet is a greatest lower bound.
- Competitions amongst teams in various sports (such as fencing or track and field) are termed meets.
- Meets can refer to summits.
- Meet and greet refers to public relations.
- meet (met) adjective, Fitting; proper old English
- Meetup.com, an online social networking portal
- OMEET is an acronym of Oriental Medical Education Eligibility Test, a standardized test administered for professional graduate schools of oriental medicine (traditional Korean medicine) in South Korea.
- DEET is an acronym of Dental Education Eligibility Test, a standardized test administered for professional graduate schools of dentistry in South Korea.
- LEET is an acronym of Legal Education Eligibility Test, a standardized test administered for professional graduate schools of law in South Korea. In South Korea, shortly, the schools are just called as "law schools," the English loanword.
- PEET is an acronym of Pharmacy Education Eligibility Test, a standardized test administered for professional graduate schools of pharmacy in South Korea, scheduled to be carried out from 2011.
Highland games, Olympiad, Olympic games, Olympics, abide by, abut, accepted, accommodate, accommodate with, accommodated, accord, accost, acknowledged, act up to, adapt, adapt to, adhere, adhere to, adjoin, adjust, adjust to, admitted, advantageous, advisable, affront, agree, agree in opinion, agree with, alight upon, answer, applicable, approach, appropriate, approved, apt, assemble, assemblee, assembly, assignation, assimilate to, at home, attend to, auspicious, avail, balanced, ball, bang, bang into, be equal to, be exposed to, be faithful to, be guided by, be subjected to, bear, beard, becoming, befitting, being done, bell the cat, bend, bite the bullet, bout, brave, brawl, brazen, brazen out, breast, bring before, bring forward, bring up, bump, bump into, bunch, bunch up, call together, cannon, carom, carom into, carousel, carry out, caucus, center, centralize, challenge, chance, chance upon, chime in with, civil, clash, clinch, close, close in, close up, close with, clot, cluster, cohere, coincide, collect, collide, colloquium, come across, come among, come into collision, come together, come up against, come upon, comme il faut, commission, committee, communicate, compete, compete with, competition, comply, comply with, compose, concenter, concentralize, concentrate, conclave, concours, concourse, concur, concuss, conflict, conform, conform to, conformable, confront, confront each other, confront with, congregate, congregation, congress, congruous, connect, contest, convene, convenient, conventicle, convention, conventional, converge, convocation, convoke, cope, copulate, correct, correspond, council, couple, crack up, crash, crash into, cross, crowd, crump, crunch, customary, dance, dare, dash into, date, de rigueur, deal with, decathlon, decent, decorous, defensible, defray, defy, derby, deserved, desirable, diet, discipline, dispose of, ditto, do, do it, do justice to, double-header, doubles, due, echo, eisteddfod, embrace, emulate, encounter, endure, engagement, envisage, equal, equitable, even, evenhanded, event, expedient, experience, face, face the music, face up, face up to, face with, fair, fair and square, fall across, fall among, fall foul of, fall in with, fall upon, favorable, feasible, feel, felicitous, festivity, fete, field day, fight, fill, fill the bill, find, fit, fitten, fitting, flock together, flow together, focus, follow, forgather, forgathering, formal, fortunate, forum, foul, foursome, front, fructuous, fulfill, funnel, fuse, game, games, games of chance, gang around, gang up, gather, gather around, gathering, gear to, genteel, get by, get together with, get-together, go, go along with, go around, go by, go through, go with, good, grapple, gratify, greet, grow together, gymkhana, hack it, handle, hang together, happen upon, happy, harmonize, have, heed, herd together, hit, hit against, hive, hold, hold a meeting, hold a session, hold by, hold together, horde, housewarming, huddle, hurt, hurtle, impinge, intercommunicate, intersect, jockey, join, joust, just, just do, justifiable, justified, keep, keep faith with, knit, knock, knock against, know, labor under, lawful, lay before, league, legal, levee, level, light, light upon, likely, link, link up, liquidate, live up to, luck, lucky, make conform, make good, make the grade, mass, match, matching, measure up, meet and right, meet boldly, meet head-on, meet requirements, meet squarely, meet up with, meet with, meeting, merge, merited, mill, mold, muster, narrow the gap, nip, observe, open, opportune, oppose, orthodox, outvie, panel, party, pass, pass muster, pass through, pay, pentathlon, percuss, pinch, pitch upon, place before, play, play-off, plenum, politic, present to, profitable, prom, proper, propitious, providential, put it to, qualify, quorum, race, rally, rally around, reach, received, reception, recognized, recommendable, reconcile, reconciled, rectify, regard, regatta, rencontre, rendezvous, respect, right, right and proper, rightful, ripe, rival, rub off corners, run across, run into, run smack into, run the gauntlet, run together, run up against, run upon, runoff, salute, satisfy, seance, seasonable, see, seemly, seethe, serve, serve the purpose, session, set at defiance, set before, settle, shape, shindig, side with, sideswipe, singles, sit, sit-in, sitting, slam into, smack into, smash, smash into, smash up, soiree, sortable, speak out, speak up, spend, sport, square, stand, stand under, stand up, stand up to, stem, straighten, stream, stretch, strike, strike against, strike in with, stumble, stumble on, suffer, suffice, suit, suitable, summon, surge, sustain, swarm, symposium, synod, take care of, take it, take on, tally with, taper, taste, test, test one another, the Olympics, threesome, throng, tie, tilt, timely, to be desired, touch, tournament, tourney, track meet, traditional, trial, tumble, turnout, tussle, twosome, undergo, unite, urbane, useful, vie, vie with, warrantable, warranted, well-timed, whomp, wise, work, worthwhile, wrestle, yield